Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blog Post #14

1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?


I did actually miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post. I believe I missed the metaphor because I am always reading things at face value and expecting things to be said a certain way if the author expects me to take something from the writing other than what has been written.

2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?


Last night, I heard a friend call somebody a "pig" because they were eating more than she thought they should.


I've also heard one several times lately that upset me severely. Ignorant people tend to use the saying "that's gay" to describe something that they believe to be stupid or worthless. 

3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?


The use of metaphors in the classroom might be the best way to make sure that our students understand metaphors. When I hear something often, or am exposed to it, I seem to understand it much better!

4. Why do we use metaphors?


Metaphors can be used to create a connection between two things that might not normally be connected. We use metaphors to create imagery.

No comments:

Post a Comment