Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog Post #3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
This vision couldn't be any truer or any clearer! I spend more time on facebook than I spend working on homework! I spend more time in class than I do sleeping!!! If technology is the answer, then why haven't invented a way to technologically help with sleep?

Most students feel this way about their classes! They feel as is they won't take anything out of the class and would be learning much more if they weren't in the class and learning on their own! As educators, we need find create w more inviting class and make sure that students feel like they are not wasting their time that they could spending doing other things!

Kelly Hilnes: It's Not About The Technology
Kelly Hines has some great ideas about technology and when not to use it! I really enjoy that she thinks it isn't always about technology! Her statement of "learning will not look the same to all students or all teachers, but it must be the goal." I think this says it all!

We as teachers have to make sure that we aren't just feeding the students the information and hoping that they can absorb it, but in reality not all students are comprehending! We have to make sure that we are adapting our teaching strategies for each student and the way they learn!

Karl Fisch: Is It Ok To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
I somewhat understand where Mr. Fisch is coming from but I must refer to the above comments on the post above. He says that he believes that technology is not the end all and be all of education, but I believe he thinks technology is is extremely essential!

While I do believe that technology in education is extremely important, it is just another layer of education that we need to work on! Him comparing a teacher today without technology to a teach 30 years ago is extreme and just ridiculous, but that's just me!

Gary Hayes - Social Media Count
If students are spending that much time online, there has to be some way that we can make them use that time towards educational ideals. Should me make things more interesting in the hopes that we will get their attention with the risk of losing part of the educational value?

Children are spending countless hours on youtube and somehow grades are falling lower than ever! What is the missing link that we are missing? How are we falling short and not catching what we should be doing to help our students? There has to be something more that we can do!

1 comment:

  1. Brandon,

    I completely agree that we have to adapt our teaching styles for our students because everyone does learn in unique ways. I have learned a lot about different teaching strategies and the 8 multiple intelligences. It is quite interesting when you understand each individual student, and I think it is so important to be able to relate to everyone. I believe that technology can make the difference, and it should be integrated into the classroom. While we shouldn't fully rely on technology, I do think we should use it because students relate to technology and get excited when using it. Technology can also open up so many new possibilities for the students. With that said, I must agree with Karl Fisch in saying that all teachers should be technologically literate. I also love his statement about the teacher 30 years, and I strongly believe this as well.

    ReplyDelete