Thursday, March 10, 2011

Blog Post #9


What I've Learned This Year - a blog post by Mr. McClung

This blog was written after the Mr. McClung's first year of teaching in Missouri. He makes some amazing points:

  1. The Audience (Students) Must Drive The Instruction 
  2. No Lesson Is Ever Perfect. The Lesson You Plan & The Lesson You Teach Are Always Different
  3. Communication Is The Best Way To Resolve Any Issue
  4. Don't Build Expectations Higher Than Can Be Met By The Students. Remember, We Are Working With Children
  5. Technology Is Essential To Our Lives... Do NOT Be Afraid Of It
  6. Listen To Your Students, You May Be The Only One Who Does
  7. Never Stop Learning! We Owe It To Our Students (And Ourselves)


He makes great observations of things I can imagine we would commonly forget during the busy life of a first year teacher! Thinking about what he said, these are not only good rules to use in the classroom, but also good rules to use throughout life itself!


I hope that after my first year in my own classroom that I am able to turn around and have such wonderful things to remind myself about my classes. I foresee myself looking back at these rules for years to come!

2 comments:

  1. I also hope that after my first year of teaching that i can learn as much as he did during his first year. I also agree that the problems he incountered are also problems that we will see during our first semeters as teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon,

    A number of very important tips are offered in this article, and I like that you thought about how you are going to implement Mr. McClung's findings into your own future classroom!

    Keep up the good work!

    Less than a week until Gaga! :)

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete