Friday, January 28, 2011

WGLB: High School Senior "Comes Out" in Assembly

High school senior Kayla K. comes out to her high school, in an assembly honoring Martin Luther King Jr. Jan 13 and 14, 2011




I'm sharing this video because I believe that as a teacher, it is our right to make sure that our students are supported in their decisions. Living here in the South, I understand that students aren't always supported based on reasons of religion or regional ideals, however, when a student this brave stands in front of her whole school, something must be right!

This young lady has clearly done the research behind her thinking and I commend her! I think we are looking at a future news woman, CEO or even leader of the country! Great job Kayla!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful. What a magnificent speech. And remarkably delivered! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so powerful; I'm very impressed with how Kayla faced herself and the world on such a monumental stage. You're right about providing support for our students and if her teacher had not allowed her to give this speech, I think it would have been a shame. She did a fabulous job. Thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific video. When will we judge people based on their character only? We tend to judge people based on the color of their skin, their sexuality, religious preference, economic status, and numerous other things. Character is what matters. Thanks for sharing the video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Michael, this is EXCELLENT. Way to own your blog Brandon. I have featured you as the blog of the week on my blog and the EDM310 Alumni Blog. I hope you don't mind. Have a great week and keep up the GREAT work.

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for watching this video! I have watched it several times since posting it, and each time I take something new away from it!

    @Anthony, of course I don't mind! Hey, it spreads the news for not only the world of the new EDM babies, but also for my show choir!

    ReplyDelete